Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Superhero Cape Tutorial

Here is how I made my Superhero capes for my son's 4th birthday party.  They took some time to make, but turned out great and the kids loved them.

Materials:

  • Scissors, straight pins
  • Fabric & matching thread
  • Wonder Under
  • Wrapping Paper
  •  Applique design / pattern
  •  
First, I measured my soon to be four year old to see how big I would need to make the cape for the kids at his party. 
 
  • Shoulder width (of cape)
  • Length from neck to below buttock
  • Length from back of shoulder to front of neck
  • Approximate the width of the base of the cape
  •  
  1. I used the back side of some wrapping paper to draw out and create my cape pattern from my measurements.
     

     

  2. Fold wrapping paper in half the length of the cape.  Use measurements to draw out pattern to size. 

  3. Cutout pattern – I unfolded the pattern to test on my son to make sure I had the appropriate size.

  4. Layout desired fabric and fold in half. Lay folded in half pattern, pin in place and cutout.  Cut 2 of pattern for front and back in desired fabric.
     


  5. Choose applique design.  Develop your own or print a pattern from online.  Cutout shapes.

  6. Iron WonderUnder to back side of applique fabric.

  7. Pin applique pattern onto fabric (that you just added WonderUnder to) and cutout 

  8. Iron applique onto cape

  9. Use sewing machine to stitch on the design. I like to zigzag. While the design is adhered with the WonderUnder, I like to make sure to sew it on securely so that it doesn’t eventually fray or peel off.
     


  10. Once applique is complete, Pin two sides of the cape together with right sides together.

  11. Sew around edges leaving a small 3-4 inch gap in order to turn inside out. I left this gap at the bottom of the cape. 

  12. Before turning right side, notch around curved edges so that the pieces will lay nice and flat.

  13. Turn right-side out and iron to create crisp edges

  14. Cut hook & loop tape to desired length and sew to neckline openings.

  15. Topstitch along the bottom to finish off the cape.

1 comment: